Yes, its finally all on! The event kicked off with its opening ceremony last night at Carrara Stadium, where the Gold Coast welcomed thousands of supporters, athletes & officials for the 21st Commonwealth Games.
Despite the threat of bad weather, the event was an amazing cultural spectacular with special effects, dance and music. It highlighted the Parade of Nations, the Competitors’ Oath and was the final stage of the Queen’s Baton Relay.
This commences 11 intense and action packed days of world class sporting events.
Still want to get tickets for events?
The best way to find tickets is to go to http://tickets.gc2018.com/content/gc2018/schedule.aspx to find your favourite event, dates and find the tickets you wish to to purchase. Note that some events are free!
Need to know how to get around during the Games?
The city is going to be jam-packed – and while an incredible amount of planning has gone into this event, there will be road closures and traffic delays. Just take some deep breaths if you find yourself in a traffic jam 🙂
To negate any issues as best you can, go to Get Set For the Games to be find out how to:
- Plan ahead,
- Understand what transport options are available to you
- Learn how traffic routes have been adjusted to allow the best flow of traffic for all.
Still need last-minute accomodation?
Try book direct with us, we’ll try t fit you in if we’re not already fully booked out!
Go to our direct booking page or call us on +61 7 5572 8111
Want to know what else to do while you’re on the Gold Coast?
You’re going to be visiting Australia’s best tourist destination while you’re here for the Games. Make sure you load up on a number fun activities other than the Games events. Here are some valuable tips and travel advice from some of our blog posts …
- 10 Things to do on a Gold Coast family holiday
- Gold Coast wineries you need to visit
- Best sunrise spots on the Gold Coast
- How to enjoy the Gold Coast on a budget
- 8 underrated things to do on the Gold Coast
- Where to find the best Coffee on the GC
- Where to find the best Burgers on the GC
- Where to find the best Gelato on the GC
- Explore Coolangatta, the south end of the Gold Coast
- Discover Currumbin Gold Coast
- Brought your bicycle? Here’s some of the best cycling tracks on the GC
- Learn to surf while you’re on the Gold Coast